Sunday, October 22, 2006

Some thoughts...so far (10/23)

I really wish that I had studied some Mandarin - I would love to know what they are saying as they stare at these "strange" people!

I am traveling with a GREAT group of people. We are very diverse...living from Florida to Alaska to New York and California. 3 single women....many couples....all adopting babies in range from 17 months to 4.5 years old. What a site WE will be in the Henan provice, where I suspect international adoption is not as prevalent as it is in some of the other provinces.

I LOVE the World Wide Web and the invention of the laptop. I am sitting at a desk....in a hotel in China....listening to 80's rock on Yahoo! music...keeping touch with our many fans back home :)

I will be meeting my daughter TOMORROW! Just over 24 hours before I finally get to hold Maya. I can hardly contain myself! As much as I am interested in learning about the many sites we've seen...all I really want to do is get to Henan and hold Maya for the first time. It's hard to concentrate...and if you all want information on these sites I've seen you'll just have to google it, because my brain is SO not here!

It's true what they say about the smells...China smells very different than our country. As funny as it might sound....you walk through the neighborhoods of Hutong Alley and it smells like our Chinese restaurants....very comforting for this fan of American Chinese food! But then...there are also distinct "sewer" smells in some places. Kind of like what River Des Peres sometimes smells like. Peeeyeeewww!

I haven't seen the moon yet to check it out. I've been wondering if it might look different on this side of the earth. I'll check that out soon!

Squatty Potties. Um...I'm not really sure what to say about this except....YUCK! As many squats, lunges, and other torturous leg exercises that I was put through at the YMCA, I was still not ready for the squatty potty! Oh...and they don't believe in tp over here. It's a BYOTP society around this joint. It's a good thing that I learned of this before leaving home...I am prepared with my own personal rolls of travel tp! :)

Did I mention that I get Maya tomorrow? OMG! For real! Like totally awesome! Oh..sorry...80's rock got into my head!

Thanks for all the comments...you guys are the best...and it is SO great to see them when I wake up in the mornings! I wish ALL of you were here!!! Love - Michelle

7 comments:

Kelly said...

O...M....G...what a FABULOUS day tomorrow will be!!!!

Thinking of you lots and LOTS!

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of you all weekend and my mom keeps calling for updates. I cannot wait to see pictures of Maya and her mommy.

Give Papa Wobes a big hug for the new granpa.

ann

Anonymous said...

Give Papa Wobbe a hug for me too. Can't wait for the next round of pictures. They will be great, with the addition of Maya. PS Bill did you get my e-mail. MOM/Gramma/Anita

Anonymous said...

Hello Shell, We miss you,but see that you are having fun. Tomorrow is the big day. I am so excited (tears, tears) Every few hours I remind myself what time it is in China and think about you and your Dad are doing. I can't wait (tear, tears)to see a photo of you holding (tears)Maya. Okay I'm being really ridiculous now. Love you, Tina

Anonymous said...

Zoe and Laney hope you are having a great trip.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear all about the moment you meet Maya!!!!!

You're almost a Mommy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,

I'm going crazy waiting for Maya Day!!! I will probably keep waking up and checking the computer Monday night. Of course Lauren will help me out with that! I guess the Great Wall is next? I wonder if the trees have turned more since we were there? Photos...we want photos!!!! :)
Have fun today! We are heading to bed soon!
Love - Robin