Friday, October 27, 2006

October 27, 2006 - Luoyang, Henan

Success!!

Today was an almost "free" day. We had a little bit of work to be done in the morning to finish up some paperwork for the registration of the adoption. That's really the last of the paperwork to be done here in Luoyang...now we wait for the passports to be processed.

Grandpa and Maya update: We're making progress..a little bit. This afternoon, Grandpa and Maya "played" on the floor for a few minutes. By "play" I mean...Grandpa tried and Maya screamed. However...this time, I did not scoop her up right away (heartwrenching!) and let her work it out. She did stop crying...and picked up the coins that Grandpa gave her to put in the water bottle /rattle. And that was that! She will still let him feed her...and today, Grandpa taught Maya about ketchup on french fries. See below for my little dipper.


We took a trip to a local store today for supplies. The taxi ride was interesting...and "fun", if you consider a few 100 near death experiences in the span of 5 minutes, fun! All that and more for the low, low price of 7 yuan...that's roughly less than $1.

While at the store, we picked up some snacks, some essentials, and a stroller. At last...a stroller! This kid is heavy...and she only wants ME to hold her...and she's not steady enough on her feet for long enough to put her down for any any real distance. So...a stroller is a godsend! And the good news is that she didn't mind sitting in it. She also really liked walking behind it and "pushing" it with a little help from mom. This will hopefully help her with her walking. I noticed tonight that she was trying to get from sitting to standing with the help of the ottoman..and she wasn't able to. I'm a bit concerned about this...but I won't freak out until we get back home and I have Dr. O'Neil do a thorough exam. Any mom's out there that would like to comment and assure me that my child will eventually walk on her own one day soon...speak up!! It's a bit distressing to see her so far behind the other kids her age.

Between store time and dinner time, we played a little. And I was able to call for Grandpa to come take a picture of this beautiful smile!!!!


Tomorrow is Day 8 in China...Day 5 with Maya..we will be doing some touring in the morning (yay!) and then back at the hotel for the afternoon. We'll do that same on Sunday and then there is an optional orphanage visit on Monday. I would REALLY like to go, but we'll need to see how Maya is doing with Grandpa, because I won't be taking her back to the orphanage with me.

We are SO ready to come home....have I said that already?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Michelle. allin good time my dear, all in good time. She will be fine. Don't worry because she may sense it. I'm so happy things are going well. And We'd like you home NOW too. Tina

Anonymous said...

Michelle, Stephanie sent me the link to your blog and I'm so glad she did! I knew you were going to adopt, but didn't know exactly when, so getting her email was such a wonderful surprise!! I LOVE the photos, especially the one of her sleeping w/ her legs hanging out the crib! What a great story to share with her in a few years... I can't begin to start telling you how happy I am for you. I know several families in Indy who have made the China trip to pick up their little girls, and I have heard so many times about how special that first moment is, and it was thrilling to read your story. I can't wait to hear more from you in the coming days. She is beautiful. Welcome to motherhood!!! Lisa (Gebken) Thibault

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

She will get the hang of walking, don't worry. She walked on her own around the bed as you said so that's encouraging. You also mentioned that she didn't really help with dressing but did a little today. The will come in time also. She is still getting used to you and probably doesn't know what to expect from you yet. She is feeling you out as much as you are feeling her out and getting used to motherhood. I'm sure once you get back home and she see's the Pediatrician you'll feel much better.

She's a beautiful little girl. I love all the pictures we are getting to see.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Well, get her home to me and she will be running after the boys in no-time. If not, I have all the tricks you need to know from my days of working early intervention. You are in good hands with friends and family.

Just get bring her home! Oh, she is so beautiful.

Carla

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle
Congratulations on your beautifull daugther. About the walking - DON´T WORRY. When I adopted my daugther, the babies(8 girls) were between 14 and 17 months old, and my daugther was the only one who could walk. Maya has probably had no practice what so ever, but with her new mommy she will get all the love and encouragement in the world to just go for it, and probably run around in no time.
I wish you and Maya a great life together.

Hanne from Denmark, single mom to Caroline, adopted from Hunan 2002.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

She WILL walk. Don't worry! She probably needs to strengthen her muscles. The fact that she walks holding on is a great sign. Even children that have not been in an orphanage may not walk until 16 months. She really isn't too far behind and now that she has a loving mom she will catch up very quick! Mikayla was 5 months old and could barely lift her head when we got her. She was like a newborn but caught up very quickly once we got home. Just keep working with her to strengthen those legs. I'm am SO glad you found a stroller...whew! What a lifesaver...huh?

Hugs to you and Maya!

luv, me

Anonymous said...

I can't belive you have had her for five days already! It is torture for you to tease us about cute pictures! I'm sure you don't have anything more important to do than to fix your blog system! What's the hang up???? I'm glad Maya is bonding with Grandpa. I hope you can make the orphanage visit. It would be good for you to see as well as educational. It might help answer questions for Maya later.

Blessings,

Joli

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I got home last night and have loved catching up on your journey so far and this delightful, beautiful, magically magnetic, sweet baby Maya!!!!! She is everything we imagined and more -- what a delight. It is so good to see the pics (but more please!) and to hear of your getting to know one another and of your whole amazing time in China. We are so proud of you and happy for you -- we can't wait to meet her in person.

BTW -- what are you doing with that CUE lanyard around your neck -- we've been looking everywhere for those keys!

Just kidding.

keep up the great posts on this wonderful time you and Maya and your dad are having.

Deb

Anonymous said...

I guarantee Maya will walk through the door of Kindergarten! Don't worry, Michelle. It's just going to take some practice. Welcome to the world of motherhood where you worry about every little thing!! No, really. All the parenting magazines say don't compare your baby to someone elses. They all develop and do things at their own rate. Dr. O'Neill is great, so don't worry until he tells you to.

I hope you decide to go to the orphanage. I know it will be hard to leave Maya behind even for a moment, but it may actually help her bond with Grampa. No kid ever died from crying - grampa might be in pretty bad shape, though. But the good news is, you can ignore anything I say and do whatever you think is best. YOU'RE THE MOMMY!!!!!! Cool, huh?

Love you all. Thanks for keeping us posted, but get that blog fixed, will 'ya? I need my daily dose of pictures!

Paulette said...

Michelle

I am a gross motor development specialist and work with special education students and have many pre-school age students. My recommendation is to work where she is, get her crawling and moving around on the floor. Put out things she likes and encourages her to get to them. Crawl around yourself on the floor when you are playing with her. Hold out your hands and have her pull up on them, don’t pull her up but allow her to pull up on you. The funiture may be too big or hard to get a hold of. This is a development called pull to stand. She will do it from one knee on the floor and the other leg with the foot on the floor and pull up with her arms. Then she needs to scoot around holding on to the furniture. If the skill of walking is not there yet don’t push. She is unstable and may get scared if put in a unstable and unsecure situation or position. It will come when she is ready and from my experience she is not ready yet and not that far behind. Enjoy the moment and develop and refine what she has.

Anonymous said...

Oh Michelle, I am so excited for you and Maya!! I just started reading your blog (I am sure I am reading it backwards..lol). My heart is overflowing with joy for you and I have no doubt you will make a wonderful mom.
Shane and I can't wait to meet your beautiful daughter.
Hurry home.

Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh... the smile. She is more beautiful every time I look at her. I think everyone here is already in love with her. Now we just need you two to come home so we can hug you both.

Lots of love,
Emily

PS My nephew was 18 months when he decided to walk. No worries.

Anonymous said...

Love the french fry dipping picture. And that picture of Maya on the bed with the big smile... Priceless. LOVE GRAMMA,MOM

Anonymous said...

From Mary Martin

Hi, Michelle, Maya and Bill,

I am certainly enjoying your blog. I feel like I am getting a bedtime story every night. Maya is beautiful and I am so glad that everything is going well.

She will warm up to your dad. She probably hasn't had much experience of being around men.
All in due time.

And the walking will come along when she is ready. Just be encouraging and let her move at her own pace. The good thing is that you will see her walk her first steps alone!

Love,
Mary

~ courtney ~ said...

Hi sweetie! I told you I'd catch up on everything at some point ...

I am completely in love with this girl, and sitting here at the coffee shop with tears in my eyes.

What a joy and blessing she is, and what a blessing you will be to her. Every child should be so loved ...

Safe journey home ...

much, much love ~

Anonymous said...

Bekah loves Maya. She wants to to meet her SO MUCH!!!!!! Baby Maya is so beautiful and cute.

Anonymous said...

michelle,

i just caught up with the blog. my goodness what a beauty maya is and i'm so thrilled you two are bonding...that is the most important event. walking will come. the look of happiness in your eyes is pure love. congrats...i'm so happy for you. safe travels for the next week.

vic, sam & anna